Thursday, August 13, 2009





From a blog perspective,
I realize it looks like I've dropped off the planet since July.
Do I need to say that another blog has had me a bit preoccupied?
Still waiting for travel notice.
School begins 8/25 for Allie and Brendan.
School begins 9/2 for Eliza!
She's ready.
She's matured just this week.
She's also been very, very funny this week.
Discovered a new sensory output for Eliza
when everything gets to be too much.
Let her run barefoot in the grass w/mom running behind.
Pure JOY!! and renewed focus when we come back inside.
The little things makes so much sense.
Why do "we" over-complicate and over-stress
when she doesn't conform to our norms?
Imagine how we'd all feel after running barefoot in the grass.
Sometimes I think her norm is better and does have a purpose.
Many friends asked if I saw the 20/20 interview about Carly (autism related).
I didn't. I can't sometimes (my own demons). I did after-the-fact though.
Great insight.
Even went to Carly's blog and twitter site.
Read the questions and her responses
about why autism makes kids do certain things.
Afterwards, I gave Eliza a big hug and BIG, sloppy kiss.
Told her I loved her and was proud of her.
Another great insight from the book Strange Son
when her son finally began speaking.
"What were you doing all those years when you didn't speak?"
"I was listening."
Powerful.
When a person is non-verbal,
you do tend to talk as if they don't understand.
Imagine what Eliza learns every day that we don't even know yet.
Sometimes I realize that.
Sometimes she surprises me in HUGE ways.
I haven't taken many photos since July.
Camera has been on and off since dropping it in the mountains.
I tried to get some cute ones of Eliza dancing the other day.
She's a girl in motion most of the time.
I promise to get some of her at the pool.
She swims, she does splits under the water.
She loves the pool -- another place of pure JOY!

No comments: