Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Roller Derby Princess!


One of my favorite things about being a mom is introducing Eliza to new things. Let's face it, even mom's get bored doing the same hum-drum things every day right, so why wouldn't the kids? At my dad's funeral, my siblings and I spent a lot of time reminiscing and one of the things we all remembered and cherished was...


Mom (or Dad) would back the cars out of my dad's perfectly clean and organized 2 car garage so that we could rollerskate. We'd play the 45 speed records (showing my age) and skate to our favorite song! What fun that was. We'd whip each other around in a chain; we'd play chase; or we'd just pretend that we were Olympic gold medalists in rollerskating.


So, as I watch Eliza grow up... and "grow out" of so many of her toys, I'm constantly looking for something new to entertain her. These days, she's into things that move, running, climbing, jumping and being as close to me as she can. She still enjoys her books, mind you, but sitting and playing w/ toys is not any fun anymore. So, I found these skates and though she looks very serious in these pictures, when the camera wasn't on, she was laughing and smiling. She actually took to them very naturally. She can balance on one skate while lifting one leg high in the air; she can hold onto a chair and twist herself left and right. What a hoot! (Oh, and I do have a helmet & pads...which she will be wearing now that I know she's doing gymnastic moves while skating!)


When I reviewed these pictures, I couldn't get over how grown up she looked to me. Could just be the fact that the skates added about 3 inches to her?! We may have to try the rollerskating rink where big sis likes to go every Friday night...of course, mom would have to put on rollerskates and skate beside her, which could be interesting?! Oh, and I guess they don't use rollerskates anymore, it's blades right; or is it quads...? That shows my age too. Shshhhh!


At today's annual physical...Eliza weighed in at 31.2 lbs and 38 inches tall. Almost at the 75th percentile!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I was thinking the same thing when I saw these pictures.... about how grown up she looks. They sure grow up so fast. Eliza is just the cutest with her blades on! Thanks for the good idea.... Maybe Lily needs to try some blades. We'll let Ty wait a little longer... he is an injury waiting to happen without adding blades to the mix.

Oh my that is a riot... I loved my collection of 45's and 33's. YIKES.... Also loved my rollerskates.